Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default You *can* sharpen drill bits by hand

Renata wrote:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 09:26:02 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Subject

$50 buys a lot of drill bits, especially 1/4" and smaller.

Priced 'em lately? 1/4" brad point (DeWalt - what Lowes had) - $4.

Woodcraft will sell you 170 bits for 30 bucks right now, sizes
1/16-3/8, multiples of each size.

Not premium quality, but they work fine. I tend to lose or break the
smaller sizes before I wear them out anyway.

Makes if very difficult to justify a Drill Doctor.

Hand sharpening drill bits is like learning to ride a bicycle.

Learning is a total PITA, but once you learn, you don't forget.

Try finding a shop course offered by an adult ed program thru local
high school to learn this skill.

Lew

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate