Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike J Mike J is offline

Default Advice Please Re- Extension Sockets

Graham J wrote:

Fit a filtered faceplate at the master socket, and run cat5 cable from its
RJ45 socket to another RJ45 socket at a convenient location. Plug your
router into the second RJ45 socket. The Cat 5 cable will ensure that the
ADSL signal arrives at the second socket substantially uncontaminated.

The ADSL connectors on the master socket/modem are actually RJ11 with
the line on the centre pins.
One can now buy long cables terminated in RJ11 both ends for this very
purpose.
I guess PC world will charge about £100 whereas Maplin will be much
cheaper at £10 for a 10m cable (A93CG) or less for shorter.
Or an 'ultra high speed version for £20 (A97CG)
CPC even cheaper.

I used to always pick up a few when I was in the US/Canada before they
became available here

Mike