Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Light dimmer switch; can failure just cause lack of bright lights?

franz frippl wrote:
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 23:33:22 +0000, Paul Soderman wrote:

Today I realized that our light dimmer switch, when set at the highest
point, does not seem to get the lights as bright as they had previously
been. I should point out that the power was also out a bit today in my
area.
I am suspecting that perhaps a power surge or else maybe just the age of
the switch may have caused this problem to "come to light", but I had
though that if the switch failed, the lights would simply be at their
brightest and that the dimming mechanism would not work.

I am going to replace the switch anyway, but wanted to check out if my
suspicions were correct; can the dimmer fail so as to result in a mid-
level brightness of the lights?

Thanks for any help!
Paul

Dimmer switches are no more than rheostats. If carbon were to build up
on part of the switch, it may be sufficient to affect voltage. Might
cause a voltage drop.

You could test this with a volt/ohm meter.

Hmmm,
You must be awake from a long snooze or?...... Now dimmers are all
electronic device whih controls conduction angle of sine wave. The
failure mode can be anything.