Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default Firewood stacking

I've had problems with bugs and wetness on the bottom row of my firewood
stacks, so I am thinking about getting used plastic pallets....

"Cshenk" wrote in message
Just an informative post. As we all come up on winter, some are getting a
load of firewood still and may be new homeowners who arent aware of some
issues.

More added for them will be nice!

1. Do not stack it against the house. The reasons vary but termites,
bugs, and damp-rot are the main ones.

2. If you have to stack it near a wood fence, provide about a 12 inch
free-zone between the fence and the wood stack (same issues as above)

3. By prefereance, stack it as far as you reasonably can from any wooden
barns and from your house. In a residential area with smal lots, this may
not be far, but try to get at least 20 feet from the house.

4. Raise the wood off the ground by 6 inches (more is fine). This can be
done very cheaply by making a cinderblock raised area for those metal
frames sold to keep wood, or can just be a long line of cinderblocks you
stack the wood on. In a long term place with a farm, you'll possibly want
to pour a cement bed for this.

Don and I just finished stacking 2 cords using a combination of the metal
frames on cinderblocks, and just cinderblocks (have to get more frames
next year). The frames let us get higher so save space, but the
difference isnt all that notable with a little practice.