Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default troubleshooting method for micro-controller board ?

"robb" wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

"robb" wrote:

no shorts on any of the power regulator chips 5v L387 or

the L298s

and still get 76 ohm continuity between 5v an 0v ref.

Ummm, what's wrong with that? I = E/R: 66mA. This
(static) current isn't blowing the fuse.

Yes.

I thought it was a SHORT ! Not 76 ohms ! Looks like there may

be hope yet.

Graham

apologies graham and anyone else who thpught i knew what i was
saying :{

well i did say i was an amateur, i guess everyone forgot to ask
me if i plugged it in :}

ok, well i thought any thing less than couple of 100K Ohms was
bad news ( rather a short )

i said short because my meter (fluke 177) has continuity setting
that measures anything less than 250 Ohms as having continuity
(beep) and i thought this was a bad thing between high/low that
is 5v and 0v rails

so does this new light change my tactics any ?

maybe all are to upset with my mis-use of "short" ?

still in need of help,
robb

It depends on the type of IC's, but a couple hundred ohms is not uncommon
for a fully functional circuit. "Shorted" implies near zero ohms, maybe 1 or
2 ohms of resistance in the traces and connectors leading into the thing.