Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Which Saw???

"Andy K." (clip)
My main objective is to start with pens and other small objects. (clip)I
have
seen two different schools of thought concerning saws. Some say a band
saw is the best bet to start with, and others say a table saw. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
These are not really two schools of thought--they apply to different
applications. Band saws are most useful for making round blanks out of
logs. Table saws are particularly useful for things like pen blanks.
HOWEVER: You don't need either one right now. You can buy ready-made pen
blanks of beautiful wood in the same place where you are going to get your
pen kits. If you have access to larger pieces of wood with beautiful grain,
you can make them into pen blanks with ANY saw, including a saber saw.

I started as a pen collector, and expanded into pen making. What a slippery
slope. There is a good chance that you will want to do more things, and
that is when you should choose a saw.