Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_3_] Steve Barker[_3_] is offline

Default Blown in cellulose, fiberglass, or batts for attic?

Here's the video of trying to burn properly treated cellulose.

click on the big burn link at : http://www.cocooninsulation.com/homeowners/

steve

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Eric S. Smith: Left-Field Marshal :
On Nov 6, 8:40 am, (Chris Lewis) wrote:

Rockwool has no binders

Roxul's Rock Wool Insulation MSDS, available on their Web site,
contradicts this, saying that it contains one to six percent "Cured
Urea Extended Phenolic Formaldehyde Binder." The binder undergoes
"thermal decomposition" above 200 degrees Celsius, releasing the usual
suspects as gases. "Acrid smoke may be generated during a fire."

http://www.roxul.com/graphics/RX-NA/...xul%20Material
%20Safety%20Data%20Sheet%2004-1-071.pdf

Odd. I have done simplistic burn tests of both fiberglass
and Roxul - "try to light with a lighter". Fiberglass burns briefly,
gives off smoke, and melts. The Roxul glowed red, and that's all it
did. I've seen a video of a similar test with a propane torch with
similar results, and Roxul's fire resistance over fiberglass is
touted as one of the advantages.

Tho, the latter could be it slows down fire spread in building structures,
not that it doesn't emit something in a fire.

Formulation change? Different product? Brain damage?

Dunno ;-)
--
Chris Lewis,