Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default Cold glue joints

dpb wrote:
FoggyTown wrote:
Are PVA (TiteBond II or III) glue joints which are left to cure in
cool-ish temps (50 degrees F or so) less strong than joints dried at
higher temps - or does it just take longer for the glue to set
strongly? Getting chilly at night now and not really practical to
bring glue-ups inside the house from my unheated shed.

As long as you're above the chalk temperature, they will eventually
cure to at least near full strength. I'm sure there's research on
whether there's an effect or not, but I don't have a reference to it.

Oh, the thing I was going to add -- for sure take the glue into the
house and keep it in a warm location; don't leave it out to reach the
near-critical temperature to start from.

--

That's a good point, but I find that
everything should be at the same

I too work in an uninsulated shop,
although it's not unheated. As winter
approaches, and -25 temps are not
unheard of, I have to come up with
strategies that will ensure the glue
won't fall apart after I'm finished.
I've experienced that because I didn't
know about the chalk-up temperature.

Last winter, I was making small boxes,
so bringing stuff in wasn't impossible.
Glue-up was the last step before I came
in, and by the time I was ready to do
the gluing, all surfaces were warm
enough to glue.

This winter will be bigger pieces, and
I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Maybe
schedule gluing for the middle of my
shop time, and keep heat on for a couple
of hours before I shut it down. Either
that or face SWMBO in the AM with scowls
and mutterings about how I buggered up
her kitchen (which I built)(which
doesn't matter cause it's hers now)with
clamped up pieces of wood.