Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee kraftee is offline

Default Advice Please Re- Extension Sockets

Graham J wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Mike J" wrote in message

[snip]

The other reason for using a filtered Master Socket is
that then the ADSL signal gets taken off the line as
soon as possible and doesn't get fed on to all the
sockets around the house with possible mis-termination
and standing waves upsetting the signal.
I know people will say "what about the crappy BT joins
outside your house" but at least they usually stay the
same.

So what if you need the ADSL signal at a socket other than the
master..? My router/modem is in an upstairs bedroom, it would not
be practical to locate it at the master socket.

Fit a filtered faceplate at the master socket, and run cat5 cable
from its RJ45 socket to another RJ45 socket at a convenient
location. Plug your router into the second RJ45 socket. The Cat 5
cable will ensure that the ADSL signal arrives at the second socket
substantially uncontaminated.

Or buy a SSFP with 2 sets of isc's on the back, one for you extension
wiring & one for your DSL signal, but you would still need good
quality telephone cable to get the signal to where you want