Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default I'm ****ed Off

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:14:01 -0600, wrote:

In 1950 or 51 my parents bought a 1950 Zenith tv console with record
player and am-fm radio.

Will it get channel 83?

I know they paid a lot of money for it and
had to save for a long time. I watched this tv as a young boy and for
years. In later years they got a color tv and this one went into
their basement rec room. Eventually it quit working but was used as a
bench, and fortunately was not thrown away. When I was in my 20's my
father was going to toss it in the garbage but I was playing with a
lot of electronics at the time and I fixed it with some tubes and if I
recall, some new filter capacitors. It worked for several years after
that. Eventually I inherited it when I got my own place, and I
replaced some tubes and used it for a few years until I got a color
tv. However, I kept this set and intended to completely rebuild it.
Its been in my basement for years and I could never toss it. A few
years ago I plugged it in and the radio worked fine, record player
worked (but who uses records any more), but the tv had a noticable hi
voltage leak, so I shut it off. Since then I have planned to restore
it as an antique. It has lots of memories attached. I do believe the
tv portion needs something more than tubes by now, but I planned to
restore it anyhow. That was until recently when I found out they are
going to completely eliminate analog tv stations and switch everything
to digital. That's why I am ****ed off. Even if I restore this old
tv, there will no longer be anything to watch on it. I know there
will be converters for newer tvs, but I doubt it will work on an old
set like that, since there are no input jacks.

Can't use an RF modulator?

It looks like anyone
that collects antique tvs will no longer be able to watch them. As
always, the government is screwing up our lives, but thats nothing
new. Hell, tv frequencies have been the same ever since the beginning
of tv itself, but now that we entered the 21st century everything is
changing so fast one can no longer keep up. This really does **** me
off. Maybe it's my age, but why cant they just leave things be.
Pretty soon anyone over the age of 12 will be obsolete and rendered
useless. New technology is great for those who want it, but why cant
they leave the old stuff alone. It's history and it's well
established and is part of our culture. Cant the government just
leave us alone for once and stop screwing up our world. I'll admit
that when color tv first came out I thought it was the greatest thing,
but now it's fun to see an old B&W tv still working.

You can see a picture of this tv he
http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-Zenith-G2957R.JPG

By the way, this console has a special plug for "video phone".

Is this useful for anything? Maybe those baseband inputs you need.

This
was way ahead of it's time, and never was used. It's a great set and
a nice cabinet either way, but I guess there's no sense fixing the tv
part anymore.

Alvin

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com