Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nospam.house@none.com is offline

Default Blown in cellulose, fiberglass, or batts for attic?

Chris Lewis wrote:

Roxul is quite popular in Canada and I believe it's becoming
more popular in the US.

The R value is slightly higher than fiberglass (R21.5 vs R20 I
think for 5.5" batts).

It's heavier, and is a better sound barrier.

Sounds good. About the weight, I have standard 1/2" ceiling sheetrock.
Will the weight be an issue? If I go with batts, it will be resting on
the wood beams which should be fine, but if I go with blown-in, then
the weight might rest on the ceiling. Just don't want a sagged
ceiling, not to mention this is an earthquake area. Ho much heavier is
it compare to fiberglass and cellulose?

If I go with blown-in, how difficult will it be to move them aside to
do some work? I like the fire resistent and moisture resistent
property.

Thanks!

Raymond