Posted to rec.woodworking
asmurff asmurff is offline

Default Cold glue joints

Type III is 47° F and the Type is 55° F

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
If ya see it, it didn't go off.
Old Air Force Munitions Saying
IYAAYAS
"dpb" wrote in message ...
FoggyTown wrote:
Are PVA (TiteBond II or III) glue joints which are left to cure in
cool-ish temps (50 degrees F or so) less strong than joints dried at
higher temps - or does it just take longer for the glue to set
strongly? Getting chilly at night now and not really practical to
bring glue-ups inside the house from my unheated shed.

As long as you're above the chalk temperature, they will eventually cure
to at least near full strength. I'm sure there's research on whether
there's an effect or not, but I don't have a reference to it.

The critical item is to check the manufacturer's "chalk temperature" for
the particular formulation you're using -- that's the point at which the
glue will not set at all, but simply crystallize.

One of the advantages of TiteBond III is the lower chalkpoint--47F iirc.
Type II is a fair amount higher although I don't recall the actual number
offhand. If you're getting to the point of the material itself
approaching 50F, I'd definitely be going to the Type III on general
principles.

If you can warm the work area somewhat while working and doing the glueup,
then let it cool gradually overnight after done, you can probably get a
reliable bond if it doesn't cool too quickly -- the drying time will still
be within an hour or so.

But, the suggestion of some heat lamps or other localized heat source is a
good one for safety. Hardly anything would be more frustrating than doing
a complex glueup only to find out if didn't hold completely owing to a few
degrees too cool in the shop...