Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default You *can* sharpen drill bits by hand

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 15:10:53 -0000, "
wrote:

On Nov 6, 8:58 am, RayV wrote:

Are there any sharpeners in the homeowner/hobbyist market that can
sharpen my yet to be purchased brad-points?

All the research I've done, and I've searched, says that it's possible
but it's so difficult and time consuming that you're better off
throwing away the old bit and buying a new one. Or converting the old
bit over to standard if you'd prefer to recycle.

I plan to take advantage of Woodcraft's sale and spend 30 bucks on a
box 'o bits, and see how long it takes to go through 'em.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...epagedeal=true

Good point. Why spend $50+ on a Drill Doctor? Why spend the time to
sharpen bits when you can be making sawdust? I can understand
sharpening a bit in an emergency situation. I guess a Dremmel tool
would be helpful with bit sharpening. But, like router bits, it makes
sense to just replace them.