Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default changing 240v trip on circuit breaker to 120v

According to :
I have a circuit that is now 240v and I wish to change it to 120
volts. The switch that trips the fuse at the circuit box for that
curcuit consists of 2 switches connected together with a clip. If I
were to remove the clip and put one switch in the off position
permanently and the other one in the on position would this be a safe
and sound way to get 120v from this circuit? Would it matter which one
I used for the on circuit? Is this the right way to do this? Sorry if
this sounds ludicrous, I don't know much about electricity in a home.

You're confusing switch and breaker, and it's giving me a headache ;-)

It'd be best explaining better what the circuit is currently
doing, why you want to switch it, and other details. Like,
does the cable the tie-barred breaker have 3 or 4 wires in it?
What is the amperage of the breaker?

[From a theoretical/code perspective, some of the questions are
irrelevant, but they may shed some light on the wisdom of doing
this at all.]
--
Chris Lewis,