Posted to alt.home.repair
brian brian is offline

Default Heat Pump/Air Handler went out completely

On Nov 6, 8:48 am, "Moe Jones" wrote:
Zyp wrote:
Moe Jones wrote:
wrote:
Before I decide who to call on my problem I'd like to get some sort
of idea what the problem is...

One morning while in Heat mode my Heat Pump simply stopped running
all together, not even a temp readout was on the digital thermostat.
Just nothing. I could not get the Air Handler fan to blow by setting
it to do so at the thermostat.

There is an 10 year old air handler in the attic and a 9 month old
heat pump outside.

No circuit breakers were tripped. I am able to get to the attic air
handler and can see that its two breakers were not tripped either.

I checked out at the heat pump and there seems to be power going to
the unit, (verified by a non-contact voltage probe) yet the small
green "Power" light inside the Tempstar unit isn't lighting up.

There are 2 breakers serving the Air Handler, I suppose one is for
the backup heat strips, the other for the fan motor. There is one
breaker serving the Heat Pump outside. All these circuits seem to be
ok as they leave the Main circuit box. They never tripped at the
time of the event.

That is about all I can decipher at this time as I really don't want
to open the sides of the Trane Air Handler to check the wiring
inside. I am just stumped at what it could be, especially as the
Honeywell
thermostat simply reads blank (its a 24 volt, no battery). I tried
using a small lamp tester across all the contacts inside the
thermostat contacts but non of them seem to be 'hot'.

The heat pump is a new replacement, 8 months old. The Air Handler is
about 10 years old.

Any ideas about what could have gone so wrong, so quickly?

What seems strange is the blank Thermostat and the Blank Heat Pump.
The 'who to call dilemma' is between the Installer of the new Heat
Pump and the company who installed the Air Handler (no warranty
left) as I've learned that you may as well just call the company
you expect to install any replacement unit first because otherwise
you will just be wasting a 100$ service call which won't be applied
to the price of any new equipment installed.

I just am looking for some sort of clue as to what might be wrong
before I call them. The house has an older heat system (elec
baseboard) so there is no huge rush.

Thanks

Phil

It could be the transformer in the furnace.

just be careful that you do not hurt yourself if you try to repair.

If you think it is under warranty then call out the ones who
installed it or last worked on it.
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Moe;

Didn't he say *"Heat Pump"* and that there was an *"Air Handler"* in
the attic? Not a furnace?

Furnace or Air Handler they both put out heat. Generally I associate Air
Handler with cooling only with some sort of a duct heater.

And, couldn't the outdoor unit that was installed during the summer,
have been "mis-wired" by the installing conrtactor causing a low
voltage failure in the air handler?

Yes, but most likely when a good installer replaces a heat-pump he will
check the new equipment in both modes (Cooling & Heating) to make sure all
is good.

Phil;

Call out the original installing contractor.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
Energy Equalizers Inc.
Houston, Texaswww.EnergyEqualizers.com

Just wondering. If it was mis-wired for heating (it has cooled fine
for months) what might have triggered a failure after about 3 weeks of
heating use? Could part of its various stages not have been triggered
to run until it had to operate at a colder temp outside? Its not even
gotten below freezing outside here, and I believe it was in the 40's
the morning it all stopped working.

phil