Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,sci.electronics.repair
EADGBE EADGBE is offline

Default QUESTION: FM Stereo Sensitivity

I went to a garage sale recently and couldn't pass up an old Technics
SA series receiver in great condition. (A Technics SA series receiver
was my first bit of halfway decent stereo equipment.)

The receiver's FM tuner works great and sounds very good, but I can
only get the "FM Stereo" indicator light to light up on one station,
even though the signal strength meter indicates VERY strong FM signals
on almost every station all across the FM band.

I only have one of those little clear-coated two-conductor wire FM
antennas hooked up to it right now, but if I recall correctly, that
was all that was needed to get FM Stereo on virtually every station in
my area.

Could something be weak in the FM tuner circuitry, or do I need a
stronger antenna?

And whilst I'm at it, what is the functional difference between the
two 300 ohm FM antenna terminals and the grounded 75 ohm FM antenna
terminal, besides the obvious difference in resistance?

Any help would be much appreciated.