Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default forklift questions

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 10:24:34 -0500, Randy wrote:

I am starting to look for a forklift for around the shop. There's one
on ebay that has brakes that do not work, are they hard or very
expensive to fix? I know nothing about forklifts.

Item number: 140174039210

It's about an hour away from me, or should I keep looking?

I'm looking for cheap.

I can fix almost anything, unless you need some exotic special tool. (
although I have made some of them.)

I rent out part of the building to a guy for storage, and am looking
to put some pallet rack over there, so there's a second reason for a
forklift.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

That is a hard surface only forklift. Probably about 2500 lb max
capacity (small counterweight at the rear)

Put that sucker in the dirt...and it will sink like a rock.

Brakes are moderately easy. Its most often the master cylinder, which
is easily replaced.

Its got a good name, Clark, with a good support network.

The price is right. Its small enough to be trailerable without a hell
of a stout trailer. Probably weighs 4500 lbs or so.

If its the brake cylinders or shoes, you will have to remove both
front wheels and drums. This requires jacking or blocking up the
front of the forklift to get the front wheels off the ground. Parts
can be cheap from aftermarket places, expensive from Clark.

That size forklift WILL pick up a Bridgeport. Barely. It can get a
bit scarey when the rear end starts to go light on you. Having a
friend stand on the rear helps.

Price is right. Fix it up, resell it if it doesnt fit your needs, buy
another bigger one with the proceeds.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toyota-Cushion-Tire-Forklift-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ110187235231QQihZ001QQcategoryZ97 185QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would be my first choice...but they come up regularly and if you
decide to buy and fix up the Clark then sell...you can pay cash for a
good one similar to the above.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.