Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default How to take the metal pin out

"charlie" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 5, 9:28 pm, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in
. ..

I suspect the peacock colors in leaded glass is from an HCL wash.
Thanks Ed.

Martin

I wondered about those colors when I read about the iridescence that
comes
from HCL etching, but I didn't see anything on Google about it being used
as
a coloring method. Probably I wasn't asking Google the right questions.

--
Ed Huntress

that usually comes from vapor deposits of stannous chloride applied to
the slightly under molten temp glass at a certain point in the
production of sheet glass.

there are other chemicals used in this too, but all applied to hot
glass as a vapor, for example dichroic glass is 10-30 layers of vapor
deposition of different kinds of metals in a vacuum chamber.

none of these processes is any type of etching with acids.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Aha. Thanks, Charlie.