Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee kraftee is offline

Default Advice Please Re- Extension Sockets

curious wrote:
the_constructor wrote:
Hi Everyone,

This is a cross post because I wasn't sure which one to put it in
and some people may not use all the NewsGroups that I have posted
it to, so beg your forgiveness.

The main BT socket is in the bedroom and from this I have daisy
chained all the rest of the sockets in the house using the
faceplate connection on the front of the BT socket.

From some of the sockets I have filters plugged in for the phones,
4 in total. I also have a filter plugged in for the PC to use the
Broadband. I noticed that the connection speed was getting slower
and slower
so I used the Voyager 105 modem given to me by my ISP in order to
findout the exact speed. It was 320 kbps.

I disconnected all the phones in the house, tried the speed again
and it was the same. Plugged modem into main socket and speed
increased to something like 580 kbps. I thern took faceplate off
and plugged modem directly into socket, now 1.8Mbps. I plugged
extensions into filter and all phones work ok without individual
filters. Now my question is this. Do I have a fault on my original
installation of the sockets in the house, or, should I have just
used 1 filter in the main box as I have at present ?

Your comments are most welcome.

Only the phones need to have filters. The
broadband modem doesn't need one and it can
cause problems if one is fitted or so I hear.

Conversely it can also cause a problem if it's not