Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Part P - They are coming to do it!

Peter Hemmings wrote:

Well when adding extra stuff, there are some aspects like main
equipotential bonding that must also be brought up to current
standards if not compliant since that will affect the safety of the
work you have done.

Hmmmm..... I need to update the bonding I think.
I have no electrics in the shower and have plastic plumbing to it so
have done no bonding?
I have a lighting mirror that is earthed back through a lighting ring?

In a shower you would only need to equipotential bond things that could
introduce a potential into the space. So if all the plumbing is plastic,
and the only power circuit to supply the room is the lighting then there
is likely nothing to do. If there is more than one power circuit - say
lighting and a shower, then the earth conductors of the two circuits
ought to be bonded to each other.

My gas pipe from the meter has bonding back to the board and my s/steel
sink has bonding to some old mains copper water pipe (but the input to
this into the house has been changed to plastic

The gas pipe sounds fine if the wire is of the correct size (typically
10mm^2 if you have a TN-S or TN-C-S supply, or 6mm^2 on TT).

The kitchen sink does not require a bond at all. (kitchens are not
"special locations" anyway).

If the house cold water pipes are metal, then there should be a main
bond to the cold water supply where it enters the house (even if the
supply itself is plastic)

When moved into the house I also stuck in a 1 metre earth spike and put
that back to the board!

Do you have RCD protection for the whole house, or does it still have an
older voltage operated ELCB?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=RCD#ELCB

Is there anything I need across the boiler (from the gas to the C/H)?

Many fitters will routinely bond all the pipes in and out of the boiler.
Whether this is actually required seems to be open to debate though
unless the boiler is in a special location.

Any other comments before I let the Contractor in!?

If I have to do some additions what is the sizes of bonding I would need
please?

See above. The OSG also has chapter and verse.

--
Cheers,

John.