Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Advice Please Re- Extension Sockets

In article ,
the_constructor wrote:
This is a cross post because I wasn't sure which one to put it in and
some people may not use all the NewsGroups that I have posted it to, so
beg your forgiveness.

The main BT socket is in the bedroom and from this I have daisy chained
all the rest of the sockets in the house using the faceplate connection
on the front of the BT socket.

From some of the sockets I have filters plugged in for the phones, 4 in
total. I also have a filter plugged in for the PC to use the Broadband.

I noticed that the connection speed was getting slower and slower so I
used the Voyager 105 modem given to me by my ISP in order to findout
the exact speed. It was 320 kbps.

I disconnected all the phones in the house, tried the speed again and it
was the same. Plugged modem into main socket and speed increased to
something like 580 kbps. I thern took faceplate off and plugged modem
directly into socket, now 1.8Mbps. I plugged extensions into filter and
all phones work ok without individual filters.

Now my question is this. Do I have a fault on my original installation
of the sockets in the house, or, should I have just used 1 filter in
the main box as I have at present ?

Your comments are most welcome.

BT when running cables along the street etc take care to avoid sources of
interference like mains wiring. So it seems strange that miles of cable to
the exchange can have less effect than a few yards in the home - but it
can be. The best way is to install a single filtered unit where the line
comes into the house, and site a router there. Then either use CAT5
cabling to your computer(s) or a wireless link.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.