Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earth wire from consumer unit.

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Meter is in a semi-concealed box at side of house. A 28mm copper pipe
runs up the wall and across the bedroom floor then into a landing
cupboard where the boiler is housed.

I can join the earth cable to this copper pipe in the bedroom without
too much trouble. This will be my 'as soon as practical' solution. It
was the thought of having to route it across the bedroom and down the
wall which prompted my original question.

It really needs to go where the pipe comes into the house. Unless you can
prove it is a continuous length from there to where you propose fitting
it.

I'm doing this to conform to regs. I don't really understand why.

Well, consider the fact that the pipe from the street is plastic. A metal
one running through earth would provide an earth of sorts - but plastic
won't. The copper within the house is connected to what? A boiler, gas
fire, cooker etc all of may also be connected to electricity. If one of
those developed a fault it's conceivable the electricity could get to the
pipe. And make all the copper pipe 'live'. I know it's unlikely but
protective measures have to allow for every possibility.

Thanks for all the responses.

--
*The average person falls asleep in seven minutes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.