Posted to alt.home.repair
Merlin[_2_] Merlin[_2_] is offline

Default Oil-Filled Electric Radiator Heater

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:06:44 -0500, Jim Redelfs
wrote:

In article ,
Merlin wrote:

I think I'll get one of these units and see exactly how much heat they
put out in my conditions.

That's a good plan.

I borrowed one of these "radiators" to heat our master bedroom while our
furnace was being replaced. As it turned out, the first night the temp
descended to -8F (yes, 8 BELOW zero). The second night (without a furnace)
was a little less cold but not by much.

During the second night, with the door closed to our moderately-sized MBR and
bath, I actually had to throttle-back the heater. I was VERY impressed with
its performance. (There were other electric heaters operating elsewhere in
the house during this time.)

I'll use the propane for days that are too cold to do otherwise.

Given it's Jacksonville, Florida, yours sounds like a good plan. Remember:
Electric heat is virtually 100% efficient. In some places, it is also 100%
EXPENSIVE although the gap between it and NG has narrowed considerable in
recent years. Only you, armed with information such as how much you are
paying per kilowatthour of electricity versus therm of LPG, can tell how much,
if at all, you will save by using electricity for heat. Good luck!

Thank you for replying. Your information is very usful.

I'm going to get one of those units now, and I can have another in any
3 day period. If the one does what I need, then it's a winner!

If I estimate, (after testing one unit), that another would really do
the trick, I'll get one more. I wouldn't want to have to buy more than
two.