Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Electric Hot Water Woes

On Nov 5, 5:53 pm, wrote:
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 20:19:22 GMT, "Waters" u38830@uwe wrote:
I have an OLD water heater (prob. from the 80s) that came with the house. I
have replaced the lower elelment twice in ten years, with this being the 2nd
time. I was having trouble with having enough hot water, and eventually I
didn't have any. So when I went to Sears to replace the parts, they couldn't
tell me what the problem was for sure and suggested I just buy both upper and
lower elements and thermostats. So I replaced everything and had hot water
but once again I soon ran out. I let it go for about 1 1/2 months until the
upper thermostat blew and also blew out the fuse. I replace the upper
thermomstat and again am not getting enough hot water for even one shower. I
checked all the screws to see if there was voltage and on the upper
thermostat there are 7 screws. the only screw that didn't register any
voltage was the bottom right screw which has a wire going to the lower
thermostat. There is no voltage registering on the lower thermostat or
element. I had the wire checked for continuity and everything checked out.
Why can't I get any power to the lower thermomstat? I really don't want to
replace the tank if there is any possible way to save it. It is in a very
inconvenient location and I don't want to deal with the hassle of replacing.
Oh, incidentally it is a Kenmore tank. PLEASE HELP!!! I'm tired of freezing
in the shower!!!!!

Well you have chewed off three legs and you are still in the trap. Did
you consider a bad dip tube or a wiring error?- Hide quoted text -

Replace it don't waste your time