Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag Snag is offline

Default OT - metalworking and reloading

Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 12:04:23 -0500, Wes wrote:

I was out in the gar^H^H^Hshop loading some ammo for my guide gun
and I noticed my Lyman 505 beam scale was eratic returning to zero.

It turned out that even though the scale is stored away from my bench
grinder, metal dust had collected in the groove where magnets dampen
the beam causing some wild variations.

Just something to keep in mind for those that do pursue reloading and
metalworking out in the shop.

Wes

I'm playing with a scheme to automate powder measuring. I found some
linear photo arrays (row of 64 or 128 pixels) at Mouser for about 8
bux. I'd use one of those to sense the position of the damping tab
(and hence the beam) on the balance. Use that in a simple feedback
system driving a small motor that drives a powder trickler. Set
balance for desired weight, dump in a scoop of powder somewhat less
than desired load, let the system do the fussy futzy job of trickling
to desired weight (beam balanced) to within +/- 0.1 grain or less
while I'm seating a bullet in the last case filled.

At 600 RPM (small stepper motor), my RCBS trickler delivers about 1.3
grains per second of H380 at full speed, down to about one granule
per step at greatly reduced speed.

Not quite as slick as the RCBS chargemaster system, but a hell of a
lot cheaper and I already have the balance.

I think volumetric powder measures are fine for handgun ammo, but I
like rifle ammo to be loaded precisely. It does seem to make a
difference in accuracy.

I find that being uniform in speed/tap at end of throw with my RCBS
volume measure throws charges well within a tenth-grain . Toss the first
five , the powder is still settling . Check every fifth round for the first
twenty , then every ten or fifteen . Your requirements may be more
stringent , but my light barrel .243 bolt action shoots under a moa with the
right load . cci primer , 45 gr H450 , and Sierra 85 gr hpbt

--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"