Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Earth wire from consumer unit.

Mark wrote:
I'm having central heating installed, 75% done.

Plumber tells me I need an earth wire from the consumer unit to the outside
gas meter.

This is quite difficult to achieve without leaving lots of earth cable
visible. Are there alternative options for me? Also, as the incoming gas
supply is plastic I can't see the point.

The requirement is that the house pipework is bonded on the consumers
side of the meter as soon as is practical after it enters the house.
Often this is actually implemented by effecting the bond in the external
meter box if you have one, however this is not actually the letter of
the requirement since it is not after entry as such.

--
Cheers,

John.