Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earth wire from consumer unit.

Mark wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mark wrote:
I'm having central heating installed, 75% done.

Plumber tells me I need an earth wire from the consumer unit to the
outside gas meter.

This is quite difficult to achieve without leaving lots of earth cable
visible. Are there alternative options for me? Also, as the incoming gas
supply is plastic I can't see the point.

This cross bonding is concerned with the house pipework - not the supply.
And the house gas pipework is likely copper? I'm pretty certain if the gas
pipe is buried in concrete etc which makes it difficult to get to the
meter end, bonding to where it first surfaces inside the house will be ok.
However if it simply runs under floorboards where it's too much trouble to
lift them this approach doesn't comply.

Thanks for replying.
The pipework is all copper. To get from the consumer unit to where the
copper gas pipe enters the house is quite long route and lots of t&g
floorboards to lift.
Does it need to be as near the meter or house entry as possible? I guess
what I'm trying to say is, can't it be connected to a copper pipe a bit more
convenient.

mark

I dont see how you expect folk to suggest how or where to route
the wire when we dont know the construction or layout of the place.
All that can be said is a few generalities, such as its often not
necessary to lift floorboards to route wires, and that wire can be
routed externally without it being too visible - but with no further
info, who knows what details are involved.

NT