larry g

Default Teflon tape/ Hydraulics

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article 586uc.17891$mm1.12389@fed1read06,

SNIP
That said, I'll also note that on _my_ hydraulic system, there are no
places teflon tape or pipe dope make any sense at all, as far as I
recall. All the connections I've had to open up are sealed either with
o-rings, or flare fittings - the threads just bring the sealing surfaces
together. Pipe dope might serve as anti-seize, which is no bad thing
(some of my connections took two 3-ft wrenches to open up after being
connected for up to 34 years), but anti-sieze will work just as well.
Your system may well differ and have pipe threads sealing connections.

The above says a lot. Are you working a hydraulic system that is using pipe
thread? If using pipe thread then Teflon, properly applied is fine. If
your using any other type of fitting then Teflon is not the stuff to use.
Teflon tape is designed as a LUBRICANT so that tapered pipe fittings can be
tightened correctly without galling. It is not a sealant!