Posted to sci.electronics.repair
97tjMike 97tjMike is offline

Default Samsung TV convergence problems

On Nov 4, 1:00 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

"97tjMike" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Nov 4, 12:10 pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:40:49 -0800, 97tjMike wrote:

Probably a good idea especially if you don't know the
difference between a resistor and a diode.

ah well i know their difference functionality wise, just not
appearance wise. i'd call it a resistor except it has a glossy
coating common to diodes

I believe the Mr. Plow was not trying to be lightly humorous, but was being
sarcastic at your expense.

I believe the Mr. Plow was being neither sarcastic nor humorous, but
merely matter-of-fact. Tis a rare individual who knows the theoretical
difference between a resistor and a diode but cannot properly
distinguish the two. Nevertheless, the OP is clearly unqualified to
troubleshoot to the component level.

I wouldn't concern yourself with my lack of expertise so much. I have
and EE friend who I'm working with. Just didn't have a chance to have
him look at the board before I posted this. After having him looking
at the board, we found that they are indeed diodes, and they are
soldered to pins 1-3, which, according to a schematic of the ICs which
we found online, pins 1-3 are not connected to anything. That's why
I'm very curious why someone would put an diode to those terminals.
But anyways we're gonna try to replace the IC units themselves (and
omit the diodes), because from what I've read elsewhere it seems that
the ICs tend to fail frequently.