Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jumpster Jiver Jumpster Jiver is offline

Default LCD TV Repair

wrote:
Hi All,

I see a fair amount of LCD TVs on eBay, on a regular basis, that are
sold AS-IS because the units will not power up. There doesn't seem to
be one manufacturer or model that has this problem more than others.

Some of these are going pretty cheap - would anyone with experience
please give me some idea as to what the problem is likely to be, and
how hard or expensive it might be to repair?

Kind of a loaded question, I know . . . just trying to figure out if
it's worth the investment in a broken unit.

Thanks in advance.

Many of these will probably have a broken panel, or it will break in
shipping if it is not properly packaged and carefully handled.

If you can find one locally and examine it first, you may find that it
will power up but the picture is invisible due to the backlight not
lighting.
This is likely to be caused by a bad backlight(s), bad inverter, or both.
If it is really dead and the panel is not physically damaged you should
be able to repair it if you are familiar with switching power supplies.

Keep in mind that most picture quality problems cannot be repaired
because the panel, its connectors and cables, and the board are likely
to be permanently bonded to one another, ICs are either unavailable, or
ridiculously expensive, and service manuals with schematics are not
available.