Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Urz Bob Urz is offline

Default LCD TV Repair

wrote:
Hi All,

I see a fair amount of LCD TVs on eBay, on a regular basis, that are
sold AS-IS because the units will not power up. There doesn't seem to
be one manufacturer or model that has this problem more than others.

Some of these are going pretty cheap - would anyone with experience
please give me some idea as to what the problem is likely to be, and
how hard or expensive it might be to repair?

Kind of a loaded question, I know . . . just trying to figure out if
it's worth the investment in a broken unit.

Thanks in advance.

Anything as is is a crap shoot. A screen can be bad even though it does
not look that way not powered up. A logic board can cost as much as the
unit did new (if you can even get one). If you lucky and just the
backlight inverter is bad and you have the chops to fix it, you might
come out ahead.

So much of this junk is non fixable. I had some car in dash LCD screen
units that were trashed because the gearing that pull the screens out
was striped. No name unit. No way to get parts.

Unless your a smart tech, the as is units have as much luck as you
buying a power ball ticket and hitting.

Bob