Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default CAD on Linux. Thank you gentlemen.... and a re-phrase

Robatoy wrote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I've been drilling deeper into
the net and there sure are a lot of options I wasn't aware of.

I have been a happy Vectorworks user for a looong time. Now that
Leopard is out for the Mac, they have decided not to support older
versions ( not THAT old either). That disturbs me as I have been
paying for upgrades since Version 1 (MiniCad)
As Leopard and my MacPro, allow me to run XP-Pro or Linux via
Parallels at no loss of speed (Intel chips now), the whole CAD
business can be evaluated rather than dropping a $ 1000.00 for an
upgrade to a company which only seem to understand loyalty in one
direction only.

For $ 1000.00 US (That's about $ 950.00 Can) what are my other
options?

It is obvious from all the replies, that there's a whole lot more
going on in CAD for other platforms that simple DAGS will cough up.
(Us Mac users sometimes have our head up our snob-asses.)

Some people wonder why I just don't go to an Intel box...well.. I
did
and I have a lot of money and learning in Mac software already
invested. 7 years of MYOB for instance and Strata, PS, Illustrator
and
so on... not to mention Logic music stuff.

Have you ever played with Ashlar-Vellum? 3D wireframe is more or less
within your budget and you can add other capabilities later if you
want them.

There's a 30 day free trial.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate