Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Problems with a wood window frame.

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 13:39:48 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'm not sure if it's a construction or painting issue but I'd like a
more long lasting solution.

It's a purpose built 2nd floor window which is approx 11 x 7ft
consisting of 15 2ft square double glazed panels. The frame work is made
from 3 3/4 x 1 3/4" throughout and is load bearing - the flat roof
joists are in part supported by it. The glazing is secured by planted on
beads on both sides - which I think are stop beads as used on a sash
window.

Access is difficult as it's above a conservatory so requires
scaffolding. It faces south so gets hit hard by all types of weather.

I've painted it myself and had it done professionally but the results
are the same - it looks scruffy after only a couple of years. And the
glazing beads need replacing through rot after 5 or so. The main
structure seems to be ok.

So is there a better design of bead that would have a longer life -
perhaps a better wood than my local yard supplies as a stock moulding or
even PVC? It's worst on the bottom rails where the water must lie and
get under the paint.

Last time I replaced the beads I soaked them in Cuprinol for some time
before fitting but after cutting to size - but this doesn't seem to have
extended their life or done anything for the paint adhesion.

==================================
Use a beading made from ordinary softwood. Paint each piece fully (use
something like the Focus equivalent of Sadolin - appears to be better than
Sadolin) before fitting. When fitting, apply a generous bead of ordinary
frame sealant on all inner surfaces of each piece (including ends) so that
it squeezes in / out to fill all cavities. Overpaint with same as
originally used when the frame sealant has skinned over.

If you can make your own beading consider making one that projects (by
about 1/4") beyond the beading reveal - effectively creating an all round
drip. I used this method when making my front porch about 5 years ago and
it hasn't required any treatment since.

For access see here for a cantilevered access platform:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSCI0012.jpg

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux