Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E[_2_] C & E[_2_] is offline

Default Damaged Electric Plug on Appliance

"John Ross" wrote in message
oups.com...
I unplugged the television and noticed that one of the blades on the plug
was bent (not straight out, but sorta curved). Surprisinly it easily fits
into the outlet, and I have checked to see if the plug gets warm, which it
doesn't. I tried pliers to straighten it, but it did not work.

Is this something to be overly concerned about? If it's bent in such a way
that it makes a tight connection, can it still cause arcing if the whole
blade is not fully in contact with the inside of the outlet?

As others have stated, it should work without any problems. I alway
overextend the reach of our vacuum cleaner's cord which causes one leg to
bend as it pulls out of the receptical. I straighten it a bit and it always
works. If you are overly concerned you could straighten the blade with
pliers and find something narrow to wedge between the parallel pieces of the
blade.