Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Drywall finishing (taping the joints)

"Harry K" wrote

I do not know if my method is 'traditional'. It was something my
Mom
taught
me when I was much younger. Makes for a nice finished wall.

Your mom? Excellent! Usually it's the dad! You have a good mom
there.

Anyway, who cares about tradition. I just wanted something to work.
Yours
sounds like a good idea.

It will make a big mess for one, and greatly weaken the dw sheet where
you put the fasteners in for two.

It does not make a mess. You seal it later. I'll add unless he seam is
along a beam, you do not fasten it there. Unlikely he landed right on a
beam there.

You _never_ join panels except on a stud or other structural member.

If you can sand through the paper on drywall with a power sander (or
even a hand sander) without creating a cloud of white dust, I want to
see it. I suppose you could sand it outside but you would still have
dust coming off it until you taped.

Harry, lots of people didnt like my suggestion (didnt say I was a
professional drywall type) but you do bring up a real one. Yes, a bit of
dust. Dunno about you but my Mom never let us work with drywall without a
mask. We also had wrap around ventfree goggles for much of the work. I
dont recall wearing them that time, but probably my sister and i did. Mom
didnt give us a choice on such things and we'd get in terrible trouble
(grounded for a week!) if she caught us even once not wearing the right
stuff for a job.

As to weakening the drywall, I suppose it did a little but the finished
product once taped and that compound you use over the tape then sanded out
fine, made it look perfect.

Don't think BTW that Mom was any slave driver of us kids. She was in there
with us or working on some other part of the house while we'd be doing our
part on the weekends/summers after all homework was done. When shed sell a
house, she'd proudly show off just which parts were done by which kid. One
thing we tried once and once only, then never again, was drywalling a
ceiling. We just didnt have the arm power for the job among us. I was too
little, and my brother is lightly built. My sister is very strong though
and a hair under 6'. Mom and Charlotte got wore out trying to hold it in
place while my brother tried to nail it up. Hilarous in retrospect. I'm
sure there's a better way but we ended up contracting that part out and did
drop ceiling panels ever after or brought someone in for that part if it was
needed. We did the finish work (taping etc) ourselves though as we did a
better job. See, with no set timescale, we took as much time as the job
needed to get it *perfect* as possible.