Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Trees hanging over roof...

Kurt, not unless blocked. No matter what you use, grates and whatnot (good
idea to keep whole leaves out!) will have to be cleaned out. Usually 1-2
times a year if there are close by tall trees.

We live where it ices, but not that often or severe. When we had the new
gutters installed, we were advised in our area to have a grate just over the
downspout entrance. It lifts off and we can clear any jams (believe it or
not, but we use a heavy thick chain and just drop it through then collect at
the bottom. Noisy but effective).

In our particular configuration, had we put those gutter guards over the
whole lenght, they would just get leaves matted over them anyways and they
are harder to clear out then.

We have a nifty little 'tool' my husband made up for checking and clearing
minor buildup so we only have to actually climb on a ladder 1-2 times a
year. The 'tool' is nothing fancier than a long lightweight pole with a
sort of shepards hook and a little rubber shovel such as you get kids at the
dollar store. Fits in there perfectly and we can just walk along from
below. Don got the idea after seeing some stuff at a pool cleaner display
that looked like it might be handy, but wanted a scoup, not a brush. He
made it out of spare flotsam in the garage.

The renters didnt use it and it was still there in the overhead of the
garage when we moved back in. Still works! So was the chain fortunately as
3 of the 4 spouts were jammed. (all cleared now).

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article . com,
" wrote:

lots of great responses, one I can add, get gutter helmet so leaves
cant clog gutters and more important clog dry well where downspouts
sometimes drain, if they dont go to daylight.

Gutter helmets, etc. Do they cause problems with ice dams, etc?
That is something that I haven't been able to get a really satisfactory
answer about.