Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Drywall finishing (taping the joints)

On Nov 3, 9:29 pm, "Cshenk" wrote:
"Harry K" wrote

not want much, just enough to barely go through the paper and to the
next
level a tiney bit.

Thanks! That's a good idea. I'd better get a fine belt; dw will get
eaten
up in no time with that sander.
I do not know if my method is 'traditional'. It was something my Mom
taught
me when I was much younger. Makes for a nice finished wall.

Your mom? Excellent! Usually it's the dad! You have a good mom there.

Anyway, who cares about tradition. I just wanted something to work.
Yours
sounds like a good idea.

It will make a big mess for one, and greatly weaken the dw sheet where
you put the fasteners in for two.

It does not make a mess. You seal it later. I'll add unless he seam is
along a beam, you do not fasten it there. Unlikely he landed right on a
beam there.

You _never_ join panels except on a stud or other structural member.

If you can sand through the paper on drywall with a power sander (or
even a hand sander) without creating a cloud of white dust, I want to
see it. I suppose you could sand it outside but you would still have
dust coming off it until you taped.

Harry K