Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware
Baron Baron is offline

Default How to recover a crashed laptop hard disk (windows NTFS)

Erica Eshoo wrote:

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:43:26 -0800, bluerhinoceros wrote:

Here is the freeware/demoware that PC World suggests at
http://www.pcworld.com/video/catid,1...e,1/video.html
How to Resurrect a Crashed Hard Drive - PC World Video
Electrical recovery for not spinning drives
- Connect to a high wattage power supply

I don't understand this one.
the video implies that the power supply "pushes"
the current rather than allowing the device to draw it.

I agree with you - this is a wierd suggestion by PC World.
But, I can tell you watched the video because that's exactly what it
says.

PC World seems to imply that a larger capacity power supply INITIAL
current/voltage (they call it wattage) surge into the reluctant disk
drive could JOLT the dead disk drive into cooperating - sort of like a
Taser for reticent hard disks.

http://www.pcworld.com/video/catid,1...e,1/video.html
Does anyone else know more about this PC World suggestion to resurrect
my dead but spinning hard drive - is it science or is it voodoo?

Urban myth!

--
Best Regards:
Baron.