Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problems with a wood window frame.

In article ,
Stuart Noble wrote:
Last time I replaced the beads I soaked them in Cuprinol for some time
before fitting but after cutting to size - but this doesn't seem to
have extended their life or done anything for the paint adhesion.

I think I'd be looking for a pvc moulding. Any wood in that small a
section is going to rot pretty quickly.
You're presumably not that bothered about the profile, as long as it's
wide enough to hold the glass and fix easily to the frame. A 15mm scotia
maybe? What trade uses that kind of thing? Flooring?

I was hoping there might be a suitable material that wouldn't need
painting - but the original bead is shaped like a P where the leading edge
goes to the glass - so will hopefully help to stop water getting into the
join between it and the sill. And would an alternative to wood - PVC, ally
etc expand and contract differently so just allow bigger gaps to develop?
Or could it be set in some form of pliable gunge like silicone?

--
*Keep honking...I'm reloading.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.