Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problems with a wood window frame.

In article . com,
Pete C wrote:
Last time I replaced the beads I soaked them in Cuprinol for some time
before fitting but after cutting to size - but this doesn't seem to
have extended their life or done anything for the paint adhesion.

Were the beads primed all round (on all faces) and particularly the
end grain, before fitting?

I can't really say about the original installation as it was painted by
the builders - but was when I did it subsequently.

Also can you remember what primer and topcoat was used?

I've re-done it 3 times and a pro once. I've had Wicks, B&Q and Dulux wood
primer (pink) around at various times and it will be one of those. The
undercoat and gloss will have been similar. I've not noticed much of a
difference in life with any of these. The pro seemed to swear by Dulux.
His efforts have lasted less well than mine. ;-)

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.