Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Problems with a wood window frame.

I'm not sure if it's a construction or painting issue but I'd like a more
long lasting solution.

It's a purpose built 2nd floor window which is approx 11 x 7ft consisting
of 15 2ft square double glazed panels. The frame work is made from 3 3/4 x
1 3/4" throughout and is load bearing - the flat roof joists are in part
supported by it. The glazing is secured by planted on beads on both sides
- which I think are stop beads as used on a sash window.

Access is difficult as it's above a conservatory so requires scaffolding.
It faces south so gets hit hard by all types of weather.

I've painted it myself and had it done professionally but the results are
the same - it looks scruffy after only a couple of years. And the glazing
beads need replacing through rot after 5 or so. The main structure seems
to be ok.

So is there a better design of bead that would have a longer life -
perhaps a better wood than my local yard supplies as a stock moulding or
even PVC? It's worst on the bottom rails where the water must lie and get
under the paint.

Last time I replaced the beads I soaked them in Cuprinol for some time
before fitting but after cutting to size - but this doesn't seem to have
extended their life or done anything for the paint adhesion.

--
*Virtual reality is its own reward*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.