Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Paulsen Mike Paulsen is offline

Default Drywall finishing (taping the joints)

Cshenk wrote:
"Harry K" wrote

(snip)
It will make a big mess for one, and greatly weaken the dw sheet where
you put the fasteners in for two.

It does not make a mess. You seal it later. I'll add unless he seam is
along a beam, you do not fasten it there. Unlikely he landed right on a
beam there.

1. You don't want to let a butt joint float between studs without some
sort of backer. 5" strips of chipboard or plywood work nicely. There
are also products made for this purpose which will impart a slight bend
in the ends of the boards to mimic a tapered edge.

2. Drywall needs the facing paper for strength. I would never recommend
trying to create a tapered edge by removing the paper and part of the
core. You could argue that taping the joint returns some of the
strength, but that doesn't take into consideration that the fastener
head ends up on the wrong side of the paper (tape). Fasteners should
never tear or break the paper, much less be installed where there isn't
any facing paper.