Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Drywall finishing (taping the joints)

"Harry K" wrote

not want much, just enough to barely go through the paper and to the
next
level a tiney bit.

Thanks! That's a good idea. I'd better get a fine belt; dw will get
eaten
up in no time with that sander.
I do not know if my method is 'traditional'. It was something my Mom

taught
me when I was much younger. Makes for a nice finished wall.

Your mom? Excellent! Usually it's the dad! You have a good mom there.

Anyway, who cares about tradition. I just wanted something to work.
Yours
sounds like a good idea.

It will make a big mess for one, and greatly weaken the dw sheet where
you put the fasteners in for two.

It does not make a mess. You seal it later. I'll add unless he seam is
along a beam, you do not fasten it there. Unlikely he landed right on a
beam there.

with a very think coat under it, keep the next two coats very thin and
feathered will out. The slight bulge will be unnoticeable unless you
shine a light down the wall. If you ran your seams horizontally (the
professional way) almost all your butt joints will fall above doors
and above/below windows and thus practically invisible even under the
worst conditions.

Invisible both ways but you do not have to do horizontal (harder unless you
have a team of people), just do it carefully and right if vertical seams.
Most of the houses I see with the visible seams, are horizontal ones.