Posted to alt.home.repair
StarMan StarMan is offline

Default Drywall finishing (taping the joints)

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ooops...If forgot to add the warning. Do not use the mesh 'self
stick' tape on butt joints. It is thicker than paper to start with
and the coarse texture is hard to hide resulting in a bulge twice as
high as with paper tape.

Harry K

Thanks for this and the other suggestions, harry! Yes, I was worried about
undermining the strength of the screws, not to mention the huge mess.

Good to know about the paper tape!!!!

As for the visibility, there are no seams which don't occur along windows.
In fact that's why these 2 walls had to be made piecemeal; the windows are
3' wide, only 1' apart. The seams stem from the edges of the windows,
except for one in the middle of a sg door (above it). I also had to DW up
to a beam on one side. I'm still debating how best to deal with the beam;
either to sand it smooth (it's rough), which is a lot of work, or get a
finished piece of wood to cover it over. The DW is flush with it so I have
opions.