Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Drywall finishing (taping the joints)

"StarMan" wrote

"Cshenk" wrote in message

I've done that. Got a power hand sander? We tapered the edges in. You

do
not want much, just enough to barely go through the paper and to the next
level a tiney bit.

Thanks! That's a good idea. I'd better get a fine belt; dw will get
eaten
up in no time with that sander.

Yes, light duty with fine grain paper.

Also it might help to know I was about 13yo then so not very strong. I
didnt press hard.

I do not know if my method is 'traditional'. It was something my Mom

taught
me when I was much younger. Makes for a nice finished wall.

Your mom? Excellent! Usually it's the dad! You have a good mom there.

Yeah, she's great. Dad skipped out when I was 2, youngest of 3. Mom had to
find a way to make a living. Doing something close to the 'flipping houses'
is how we made ends meet but we lived in them while we did it. As a result,
I have an edge on most folks on home repairs, but that doesnt make me a
professional. Just functional grin.

Anyway, who cares about tradition. I just wanted something to work.
Yours
sounds like a good idea.

If it helps, this one we learned by accident. My 15YO sister started at one
end, I at the other, and when we met in the middle (bad tactic) we found we
had to do this with cut ends. We hadnt measured it right (one of us was
looking at the metric side, mea culpa).

Chuckle, imagine 3 kids, age 13, 14, and 15 renovating a house with Mom to
guide us. The finished product was very professional but the mistakes were
pretty funny along the way.