Posted to rec.woodworking

Default changing the topic to fractions

J. Clarke wrote:

MB wrote:
On Nov 1, 3:54 pm, dpb wrote:
Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
Stephen M said something like:
VAX assembler & BLISS
Ah....a DEC old-timer.

Started with PDP-11/C. Vax was a major step up. BTW, I've moved on
unix and now to windoze and still maintain that vax/vms was a great
OS
- close to crash proof. It still amazes me that after twenty years,
windows is still lacking features present in vax/vms...

I'm curious as to what those features are.

It's been a number of years (15 or more) since I used VMS, but as the OP
indicated, it was a nearly bulletproof operating system. The on-line help
was extensive and all the commands reflected the fact that this operating
system was designed vs. evolved. All the commands had the same syntax and
were intuitive. One also had significant control with the command line
instructions like Unix and unlike Microsoft OS's, but the commands also
made sense and were consistent, unlike Unix.

That's about all I remember anymore; I just remember being very frustrated
when I had to move to DOS and Unix OS's after working with VMS. Now, I'm
comfortable with Unix, it was just hard-won experience.