Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Chatter while parting off.

ok, now I am confused - it's not me that started this, but what do you mean
"bolt the head stock down" - are you suggesting that the headstock may be
loose from the ways? or are you suggesting something else? I'm not all
that experienced here, so maybe there is some thing obvious that I don't
understand, but on my lathe at least, the headstock assembly is bolted to
the ways and that whole mess sits on a stand that sits on the floor - so I
could understand "bolt it to the floor", but that doesn't directly affect
the headstock, right?

what am I missing here ---- just trying to learn

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 31, 8:00 pm, Dom wrote:
... It isn't bolted down, but weighs 1200kg. (2640 lbs). I guess if it
was bolted down, it might
eliminate some of the vibration.

Doesn't matter how much it weighs; the headstock needs to be bolted
down. Sounds like a nice lathe though, get 'er bolted down and you
should be able to get real nice finishes with some heavy cuts.

Could the preload on the spindle bearings need adjustment?

Get her bolted down first.

I also seem to be having a little trouble getting a nice finish when
facing
off.

Lock the carriage and set DOC with the cross-slide. Feed from the
center out. Bolt the headstock down.

I haven't tried engaging the cross slide feed, ...

Try power feed from the center out. You'll love the results.

Oh, and did I say: Bolt the headstock down!