Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default How to take the metal pin out

. net...

"Gerry" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Nov 3, 1:48 pm, wrote:
I have a metal pin look like this

| \
=====\
| /

It is attached to glass panel

| glass
|====\ glass
| glass

I need to take the pin out. The flat part of the pin has
dimension of 5/16 inch. The pin attached to a glass panel. I bought a
1/8" titanium bit and drilled the pin hopefully to break it apart.
The drill bit just made a scratch on the pin but does not penetrate.

How should I take it out without breaking the glass panel ?

Thanks,
Nick

I'd try nitric acid

Acid would be good, but nitric isn't all that good of a choice.
Hydrochloric will dissolve steel readily, and is inexpensive and readily
available, unlike nitric. Sulfuric would do the job, too. Be sure
to keep it submerged adequately, not only for cooling, but for keeping a
fresh supply of acid at the work. Give the acid plenty of time to get
the job done. HCl will actually work quite fast, thus the concern about
heating.

Wear eye, skin and lung protection when working with these acids------and
remember that the gas coming off will be hydrogen-----so do this where
there is adequate ventilation, and there's nothing that will be ruined by
rusting. If you do this operation inside, where there are iron surfaces,
you can expect all of them to be damaged by the fumes.

Harold

Are you sure that hydrochloric acid doesn't etch glass? I thought it did,
but my memory could be playing tricks.

--
Ed Huntress