Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R. Walter R. is offline

Default How to get rid of smoke odor

Thank you, all.

I dumped the whole problem in my insurance agent's lap.

Now I will move out for 5 days and, hopefully, come back to a de-smoked
home. :-)

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Walter R." wrote in message
.. .
A semi-homeless person in San Diego would to know how to get rid of smoke
odors in a house that survived the firestorm. Several "disaster restorers"
quoted from 30,000 to 50,000 to make our house smell as fresh as a daisy.
So they say.

The houses around us burned to the ground and contribute to the smoky
odor. There is a very fine layer of soot and ash in the attic and garage.
The rest of the house merely reeks of burned stuff.

Will washing the walls help? I am afraid that the odor will return after a
few days or weeks. Can anyone offer some suggestions for the permanent
elimination of this stink? Some people swear by ozone generators, others
say that they are dangerous and ineffective.

Thanks for any and all input.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net