Posted to alt.home.repair
Cshenk Cshenk is offline

Default Drywall finishing (taping the joints)

"StarMan" wrote

OK, basic dw question here

Actually not so basic.

Taping the joints is simple and basic when it comes to two uncut edges
which
are tapered and abutted.

Yes. Note the taper is very small.

However, in many cases, you have two CUT pieces where full-thickness edges
come together.

Knarly. Not fun but not that hard.

What is the best way to deal with these?

I've done that. Got a power hand sander? We tapered the edges in. You do
not want much, just enough to barely go through the paper and to the next
level a tiney bit.

Adding tape and mudding over could leave a "bulge" if nothing is done.

It will.

I do not know if my method is 'traditional'. It was something my Mom taught
me when I was much younger. Makes for a nice finished wall.